Medical malpractice occurs when a health care provider fails to provide the degree of care that a reasonable and prudent provider would give under similar circumstances, resulting in injury or death to the patient. For instance, a surgeon may operate on the wrong part of the body, or a nurse may make a serious medication error.
If you or someone you love has been injured as a result of improper medical care by a physician, hospital or other medical facility, turn to Avera & Smith. With more than 80 years of combined experience, our Gainesville medical malpractice lawyers will help you obtain medical records, laboratory results, pathological results and expert witnesses to assist with your claim.
Types Of Claims And Possible Compensation
Typical medical malpractice claims often include:
- Failure to obtain informed consent from the patient prior to treatment
- Failure to properly diagnose cancer or another medical condition
- Failure to properly treat a patient’s diagnosed condition
- Birth injuries such as Erb’s palsy or brain damage
- Surgical mistakes such as wrong-site surgery or objects left behind in the patient
- Prescription errors or pharmacy errors
- Nursing home neglect or abuse
If you were injured by the negligence of a medical professional, you may be able to recover money for:
- Medical expenses for injuries
- Damages for pain and suffering
- Disability and disfigurement damages
- Lost wages
Types of Medical Malpractice Cases
Pharmacy Error or Malpractice: Another growing issue in this country is the frequent occurrences of pharmacy error, which can result in serious illness, injury, or even death to patients prescribed the wrong drugs.
Nursing Home Abuse: If you or a loved one are experiencing any type of abuse in a nursing home, please contact Avera & Smith.