Rodney Warren Smith
In 2000, the venerable old firm of Avera & Avera made one of the most significant moves in its 50-year history, adding Rod W. Smith as partner and changing the name of the firm to Avera & Smith, LLP.
Rod's impressive list of skills and accomplishments made his addition one that would allow the firm to offer its clients a much broader level of services including a greater level of trial experience, expertise in specific areas of practice, and the knowledge and leadership needed to help the continued growth of the firm. During the past decade, Rod Smith has been instrumental in helping Avera & Smith become one of the most qualified and capable law firms in the State of Florida.
Prior to joining Avera & Smith, Rod served as State Attorney of the Eighth Judicial Circuit from 1993 – 2000. During this tenure, he was nationally recognized by the Association of Capital Litigators as one of the nation's preeminent prosecutors.
Rod and his wife Dee Dee are also widely known for their belief in giving back to the community. Rod is frequently auctioneer for the annual Haven Hospice event, and participates in golf tournaments for charities such as the Child Advocacy Center.
Rod and Dee Dee have three children: Alison, Dylan, and son Jesse Smith, also an Attorney at Avera & Smith.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Florida, 1975
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida - 1975
- University of Tulsa, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Service Award from the Florida Council of Crime and Delinquency
- Distinguished Service Award from the Florida Professional Firefighters
- Named "Person of the Year" in the category of Public Safety by the Gainesville Sun , 1994
- Recipient of the Harry S. Truman "Buck Stops Here" Award
- Champion of Justice Award by the N. Central Florida Police Benevolent Association
- Listed in "Best Lawyers in America" Publication